Recent Articles

Monday, March 22, 2010

Question # Nine - RACE?

 

In 2000, 56,000 respondants wrote in the word "Negro" on their US Census forms.

I must admit I received a tweet tip about "Question # Nine", so I didn't really have the chance to get annoyed by the use of the ancient word "negro" when I opened my form. I mean it is 2010 not 1950? But what drew my attention even more is how other individuals in the melting pot of our human race may get confused when they came to question # nine.

I mean they did try to cover all their bases - "Question # Eight" is totally dedicated to individuals of Hispanic (Latino and Spanish) origin. Then you have the option of being Black, African-Am, or Negro, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Guamanian or Chamorro, Samoan, Other Asian, Other Pacific Islander, and then last in case NONE of those apply you can check Some Other Race?

Would "some other race" be Jewish or Irish? Or are they not races. And how come there's only one option for white people, are they no longer considered Caucasian. Did I miss that memo? I am TOTALLY confused. Your thoughts???

PSA: Did you know that in 1850 the 7th federal census asked for "Color" and gave the choices: White, Black, Mulatto. I think we should just be glad we have sooooo many options in 2010.

 

Subscribe to BlahBoosh

1 comments:

iamtybrown said...

I learned something else >> Being Jewish is not a race because Jews do not share one common ancestry or biological distinction. Humm!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger